Hi friends! Aaron and I went on a great adventure to Taiwan last week. I can’t wait to tell you all about our family, the food we ate, and all of the new memories we created. We had 7 full days in Taiwan. Traveling to and from Taiwan took about a day each way. We made pretty good use of our week, as we balanced time with family, hanging out in the city, and going on several hikes.
- Taiwan is located in Asia–east of China, south of Japan and Korea, and north of the Philippines.
- My parents were born and raised in Taiwan. They met and got married in Taiwan.
- East Taiwan is mostly mountainous.
- Its climate is described as tropical. We were thankful to miss any major rain storms during our visit.
Observations we took away from our week in Taiwan:
- Driving, walking, and biking in the city is similar to playing Mario Kart, but you only have one life.
- There are motorcycles everywhere.
- There is no such thing as yielding to pedestrians.
- People do not use hand signals when biking.
- Forget saying “to your left.”
- Ride and walk at your own risk.
- Summers are hot and humid. We were not even visiting during the hottest time of the year.
- Central air conditioning does not exist in most homes. There is usually an AC unit in each room.
- People on this side of the world are on their phones 24/7. Just like us.
- Technology isn’t all bad. Face timing is fun!
- Taiwan has the BEST food. Also some weird food….
- We saw a myriad of signs like this all over the city.